You have begun your travel and I hope you have made your flight ticket & hotel reservations already. You are excited and have been dreaming about your vacation. Being a FIT – Free Independent Traveler – most of the things you arrange by yourself, that until the point where the plane lands in a new destination, you may feel a bit awkward to walk outside the airport & get a taxi, worry about the “clock” on the taxi, or the so-called “scam taxi”, and all those issues upon arrival. The “tourist-like” feeling. We don’t want you to be looking like that.
There’re several ways you can avoid this moment that I would recommend, as a travel professional.
1. Pre-book your taxi
There’re many ways you can do this, from Google your destination’s taxi number, keywords such as “taxi in Phu Quoc”, “taxi contact in Hanoi” are really helpful. You can also refer to the list of taxi numbers in Vietnam below for your reference, big taxi brands such as Vinasun taxi & Mai Linh taxi offer a wide range of transports throughout a large scale of destinations.
|No||Province/City||Taxi Brand||Taxi Number|
|1||Hanoi||Taxi Group||024 3853 5353|
|2||Hai Phong||Taxi Mai Linh Hai Phong|
|3||Thanh Hoa||Taxi Mai Linh Thanh Hoa|
|4||Ninh Binh||Taxi Mai Linh Ninh Binh||02296252525|
|5||Vinh/Nghe An||Taxi Mai Linh Nghe An||0238 3522 666|
|6||Quang Binh||Taxi Mai Linh Quang Binh||0232 3858 585|
|7||Hue/Thua Thien Hue||Taxi Vinasun Hue||0234 3788 788|
|8||Da Nang||Taxi Mai Linh Da Nang||0236 3565 656|
|9||Hoi An/Quang Nam||Taxi Mai Linh Hoi An||0235 3929 292|
|10||Nha Trang||Taxi Vinasun Khanh Hoa||0258 3827 272|
|11||Da Lat||Taxi Mai Linh Lam Dong||0263 3511 111|
|12||Mui Ne/Phan Thiet||Phuong Trang Transport Service||062 384 84 96|
|13||Vung Tau||Taxi Vinasun Vung Tau||0254.38.272727|
|14||Ho Chi Minh City||Taxi Vinasun Ho Chi Minh City||028 3827 7178|
|15||Can Tho||Taxi Mai Linh Can Tho||0292 3656 565|
|16||Rach Gia||Taxi Nam Thang||0297 3651 666|
|17||Phu Quoc||Taxi Vinasun Phu Quoc||02973.8272727|
- These are only my own personal recommendations, should you consult it and take the taxi at your own risk. Bear in mind, in large city such as Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City, taxi drivers do not speak much English and usually have issue with the “Meet & Greet” service.
- Therefore, there’s another option you may want to consider below
- 2. Pre-book your airport transfer
- With the rise of nowadays technology development & a socio-digitalized world, people are filled with deals from Grab, Be, and other ride-hailing apps. Bear in mind there’s some disadvantage of this mean of transportation:
- Demand-base price
- You will get the price at the app algorithm, when there are higher needs of transport, the rate will increase from slightly to dramatically, as Grab explained, they need to get drivers from another location to your desired location due to driver shortage.
- No Meet & Greet
- As being a ride-hailing app, a way to maximize profits is by utilizing driver’s resources, and the most important one we are talking about, Is time. This means the app wants the driver to arrive at a specific location, “grab” the customer and drop them off. No Meet & Greet to be offered. This could lead to a huge difficulty at the airport or even at your home, hotel, purely due to the language barrier and the differences when the 2 parties describe where they are.
- No Toll fee Paid
- Yes, taxi & ride-hailing apps price the trip base on the kilometers or miles, and surely the toll fee is not included. If you take one of these means of transport, make sure you ask for the toll fee receipt – because you’re gonna pay for it. Whatsoever.
- That being said, this option is cheaper than other. But again, usually, you get what you pay for, right?
You better plan ahead and book a private transfer service to ensure your experience is as smooth as possible.
Get a branded taxi at the airport
- This may sound a bit silly but I have experienced many cases where you can randomly catch a taxi with the “Taxi” banner on top of the car, then inside it doesn’t have the taxi-meter clock. And if you happen to arrive at night, these scammers will ask you to pay x3, or x4 the regular price to be taken to your hotel. Therefore, it is important to know which taxi brands are legit in certain destinations.
- Book a car with your hotel Concierge
- This is the fancier option, normally, what happen after a hotel booking is made, the hotel will use a CRM tool such as RIMs or Salesforce to send you a notifications to remind you that the hotel does offer a premium transfer option that comes with Meet & Greet by professional airport representative, luxury car (Mercedes C250, Audi Q5, Q7, A8, BMW Series 3 or similar) to fetch you from airport, branded music, infused towel, some local snacks & premium bottled water as a refreshment. You are in a good hand.
- If your budget allows, this is a highly recommended option. However, I only recommend you book this service in a 5-star international brand hotel.
- To sum up, paying attention to every single details will help your mind stay at ease during your vacation or business trip. Which option of transportation you choose depends much on your habit, budget and where you are travelling to. I can only recommend you to review this blog post carefully or contact me should you have any questions or concern.
- Enjoy traveling!